Monday, February 7, 2011

Mr. Words


I received a nice compliment from my boss a few months ago. She started calling me "Mr. Words". I take a lot of pride in this informal title; I'll explain.

A large part of my job is effective communication - responding to emails, giving speeches, and talking with employees and the public. I must communicate clearly with everyone to make certain our office runs smoothly. I believe a large part of effective communication is understanding how spoken and written words will emotionally affect the reader or listener.
It is all well and good to simply state facts while communicating but if the person reading/hearing the words perceives them to be gruff or hostile they will not accept the message they contain. Writing for the reader is a skill to be developed.


I believe I have developed a professional communication style that makes people want to agree with me. My boss must agree; she often asks me to respond to office email and issue notices to the staff. Nice, huh? Mr. Words, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment